Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hackettstown Needs More Trains

I do not condone graffiti or vandalism, but I do sympathize with this criminal's message:

100_3281

Someone wrote "We need more trains!" on the NJ Transit train schedule at the Hackettstown Station.

It also says, "Get more people living here." There is a diagram of a house and a train station. In between the house there is the phras "f'ing done", which is an abbreviated version of a vulgar word commonly used to vent frustration when someone is overwhelmed. Under the house, it says:

"Do you know what 2500 gls of diesel fuel cost?
National Average: $6, 528.50"
Call 908-889-2424
if you have any questions."

The King of Funny Faces' blog does not make any claim that the facts cited in this graffiti are accurate. The number is a Fanwood exchange. I have no idea if it is a home number or a business. I hope it is the number to the firm that did the study that determined the diessel fuel cost. I wouldn't know what to say if I called, really. It might be the vandalizer, so I am nervous about interfering with a police investigation.

It's true. There are only three trains in the morning and three trains in the evening that come to Hackettstownk, which is the end of the Morris-Sussex line. Here is an article I read a few weeks ago about the new Mt. Arlington train station on the Morris-Essex line. It is only about a year old, and it only gets an average of about 80 passengers a day. It's going to be a long time, before it makes a profit. But, again, with only six trains coming through a day, no wonder it only gets a few passengers.

I am not the only person around here who is for more mass transit. This letter to the editor is titled We need more mass transit.

I hope you get my point. Finally, here is a video I made just after I took the picture of the graffiti above. There were three people to my left, and the rest of the car was empty. Riding the train can be fun, especially if you've got an iPod playing Iggy Pop songs like I often do:



Warm Regards,

Erik B. Anderson
The King of Funny Faces
Independence Township, New Jersey
Established 1782

No comments:

Post a Comment